Monday, January 20, 2014

The Sounds of January


I just came back from a walk. There was so much to see, and as usual, it's easy to focus only on our sense of sight.

This time I tried to pay attention to sound. 

On my walk I heard



  • a robin
  • a leaf blower
  • cars whooshing by
  • a boat horn
  • an airplane
  • small brown birds hopping on some branches
  • my shoes squeaking on the pavement
  • a dog barking  


Before January is over, take a walk and listen. What sounds do you hear? Yours might include the hiss of snow or the brakes on a bus. 

When you're home, make a list of your sounds. Try to include at least one of them in a story you're working on.

When we include the 5 senses in our writing, we draw readers in. We invite them to experience our story in a new way. 

So be bold. Go for sound!