Monday, July 1, 2013

Opening Doors Part 2


A couple of years ago I wrote in Yellow Pencils about using doors as a prompt to start a story. 

I took this photo in Stratford-upon-Avon, the English town where William Shakespeare was born and lived. 

Do any story ideas spring to mind with this blue door? Who or what do you think lives behind it?

A door is an invitation to a new place where anything can happen. Doors exist in our real world, and they can play an important part in imaginary worlds. 

Try using one of these lines as a first sentence to a story. 


  • The blue door creaked open slowly, and I gasped.

  • My mom had warned me about the blue door.

  • It's a well-known fact that blue doors can sing.

  • When the blue door flew open, I fell through it flat on my face.

  • He knocked on the blue door, ignoring the word "Beware" whispering in his head. 

Enjoy creating your own world through this door!