Monday, December 5, 2011

Opening Doors


Sometimes starting a new story is as easy as opening a door.

If you need an idea for getting started, try using a door in the first sentence or paragraph. Doors are portals, or openings, to the outside world. When we hear a knock on the door, we're interested. When we open a door, we meet--someone or something.

Try using these first sentences to start a story, or make up one of your own. Whom or what will you meet on the other side of that door?

  • I opened the door, and....
  • When the doorbell rang, Adam ran to be the first one there.
  • The door was so low, Uncle Jake had to stoop to come inside.
  • I'd never seen a door painted flamingo-pink before.
  • Creak!!! I pushed the door open and found....
  • The name carved into the wooden door gave me shivers--it was my name.
  • The door slammed with such force that Julie jumped.
  • I knocked three times and waited. And waited.
  • Hello? I'm a 500-year-old door, and I have a story to tell....