Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Alphabet Brainstorming


Creativity guru Jurgen Wolff posted a great writing prompt in his e-newsletter. No, it doesn't involve playing with ABC blocks, but it does involve the alphabet. 

If you'd like to brainstorm about a character in your story, try this prompt. It's fun! I'm using it for a teenage character I'm fleshing out. 

Write down the letters of the alphabet, from A to Z, on the left-hand side of a paper or screen. For each letter, come up with a random word. (Don't think about it too much--just whatever pops into your head.) 

For each word, jot down ideas that relate to your character. 

For example:

A - artichoke. My character has never eaten one because her mom cooks meat, potatoes, carrots, and peas--nothing more adventurous.  

B - breath. My character chews gum because she's afraid of having bad breath. 

C - cage. My character feels as if she's in one because of her parents' expectations. 

D - deny. My character finds it hard to believe that she's pretty.

And so on to Z. Be sure to use nouns, verbs, and adjectives. Have fun being randomly alphabetic. I hope you get some great insights.