Monday, April 7, 2014

Write a Poem About an Imaginary Pet


Happy National Poetry Month! All month long, we'll celebrate poems. 

Even if you think you're not a poet, join in and try writing one. 

Reading and writing poems lets us play with language. 

We'll start out with imaginary pets. Do you have a real pet? Chances are it's a dog, cat, goldfish, or gerbil. 

It's probably not a Nightlight Bird, like on the cover of this wonderful book by Richard Michelson. 

Here's one of his imaginary pets: 

Nightlight Bird

I used to need a nightlight
when it was time for bed
until we got a red-eyed
Nightlight Bird instead.

I don't need any batteries
or bulbs or plugs or sockets.
I just keep Nightlight Bird seed
in my pajama pockets.

My bird won't scare a burglar.
She's slow and pigeon-toed,
but if she senses danger
Bird blinks and sends Morse Code.

But best of all, when Nightlight
starts her late-night stare
the shadows in my room run
away and disappear. 

Some other poems in this fun book are the Buscatcher, the Leftover Eater, and the Talkback Bat. 

Your turn! What kind of imaginary pet would YOU love to have? Write a poem about it. It doesn't need to rhyme. 

When you're done, add a drawing. The illustrations in Animals That Ought To Be are by the wonderful Leonard Baskin. 

I bet your illustration will be just as wonderful. 

Have fun creating and drawing your imaginary pet!