Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Music in Our Stories

Most of us like to listen to music.

Whether it's the newest boy band, a great female singer, or a classical favorite like Bach, music adds another dimension to our lives….a dimension I like a lot!

The characters in our stories can like music, too. The kind of music they listen to tells a lot about who they are.

The young adult novel I'm writing takes place in 1967. It's been fun to make a playlist of songs my 14-year-old main character would be listening to. (And I have to remember, in 1967 she'd be listening to music on vinyl records--no iTunes, iPods, or even CDs.)

Here are some popular songs from 1967 that my character loves:  


  • "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" by the Beatles



  • "I'm a Believer" by the Monkees



  • "Respect" by Aretha Franklin

How about your character? What songs would he or she listen to? Make a list of 3 songs, then choose one your character loves the most. 

Listen to the words and write them down. Why does your character love this song? What does it reveal about the situation your character's in?

If you find yourself humming, that's good. It means you're "in tune" with your characters!