Monday, March 11, 2013

Collage

Pieces of Jordi #1

Those of us who are writers may say, "I'm not an artist." Or, "I can't draw." Or, "I can't do anything artistic."

If you are artistically challenged (or think you are), collage is a great way to express yourself in a different medium. 

Collage is the art of arranging various materials onto a backing such as construction paper, cardboard, or wood. 

I like to create a collage for each new piece of writing I do. Here are two collages I made for my middle-grade novel, Pieces of Jordi, while I was working on it.

The story takes place on an island like Bainbridge Island where I live. It also involves a tunnel that is reached by a path through the woods. So I included a ferry schedule and some leaves.  

The collage on top is from when the novel was in rough draft form. I ended up taking out several elements I thought would be in the book, like the dogs. 

This second collage is from when the manuscript was closer to being finished. Here I had a much clearer idea what the novel was about.

Pieces of Jordi #2

Creating a collage about my characters and story helps me figure out what I'm trying to say. It uses a different part of my brain, which is always fun.

To create a collage about your story, get a large piece of construction paper. Gather your materials: scissors, glue stick, magazines you can cut up (ask your family first), and anything else that relates to your story. 

Maps, stickers, stamps, tickets, postcards, photos, nature objects, old calendars, wrapping paper--all can be used in your collage. 

Don't worry too much about planning it. If you're wondering what to include, pretend you are your character. What would he or she put into a collage? You may discover something new about your story. 

When you're done, hang up your collage in a prominent place. Be proud of it. You created something new--and artistic!