Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Magic Pen Story Starters Part II



This is my second week of teaching summer writing workshops, and what a great group of writers! Some of the stories by the young authors involve a decathlete, a secret room, a fire-station dalmatian, a journey through a garden, a fight for plunder, a gift involving a very special dog, a banana with a mind of its own, an adventure for Goldilocks, and some dragons with attitude. 

Here's a sample of more Magic Pen Story Starters using first and last lines: 

Write a story with this first line: 


  • All my life I wanted to be a rock.
  • The notebook sighed, wondering why it was destined to be written in and thrown out. 
  • The worst thing about living in a desk drawer is the paper clip that won't stop talking.
  • "No."
Write a story with this last line:

  • "Got you," she said, skipping away.
  • At the end, Dad told me to clean up the atomic waste in my room.
  • The spaghetti-eating contest was the most fun a mouse and a lizard could have.
  • And that's why I always wear orange tennis shoes.
Happy writing!