Monday, August 27, 2012

An End of Summer Poem


Do you feel sad when summer comes to an end? I do. Right now I'm sitting in our yard swing on a gorgeous sunny day. The sun and breeze feel good on my skin, the air smells like the cedar trees around me, and I'm drinking grape juice with fizzy water. I swear I can also smell the blackberries ripening on the bushes down the road.

Because I love summer so much, it's always hard to say good-bye. I'm in the mood to tell summer why I love it so much, using metaphors (similes without "like" or "as") to fill in the lines. 

Scroll down to read my Summer Poem. Feel free to join in and write your own! 


Summer Poem

Summer, your sun is ____________________________________.

Your trees are _________________________________________.

Your shade is _________________________________________.

Summer, your sidewalks are _____________________________.

And your sky is _______________________________________.

Summer, why do I love you? 

Because your days are __________________________________

and your nights are ____________________________________.

Summer, you're the best! You're a ________________________.


Summer Poem

Summer, your sun is an exploding firework. 
Your trees are lime-green popsicles. 
Your shade is a dark, deep pool.  
Summer, your sidewalks are sizzling pancake griddles. 
And your sky is a big, blue umbrella.
Why do I love you? 
Because your days are a long, lazy bike ride  
and your nights are a cool, soft blanket.
Summer, you're the best! 
You're a jewel in my year.