Monday, July 2, 2012

Little Free Library


So how's your writing going over the summer?

Not so well? Summer brings a lot of temptations that take us away from our writing--like swimming, running through the fire hydrant, and eating ice cream (which I wrote about in my last post). And, of course, trips to the library. 

Which brings me to the Little Free Library I came across the other day when I was walking.  

Have you seen these? Little "libraries" are popping up all over the country. This particular library was made out of old keys, bottle caps, and can lids, which shows that reading and recycling definitely go together. It was filled with children's books, which made me even happier. 

The motto of the Little Free Library is "Take a Book. Return a  Book." This seems like a great way to exchange books, and that got me thinking. What if we used that same motto for writing? "Take a Story. Return a Story." 

In other words, what if you and a friend write a story for each other over the summer? You would "take a story" from your friend, and "return a story" to him or her. 

Or how about if you write one chapter, and your friend writes another chapter? Over the summer, you can exchange chapters or stories and create your own "Little Free Story Library." 

If you have old keys, bottle caps, and can lids around--or other fun objects--try decorating a box to create a place to put your story library. 

Don't forget the ice cream. That's a summer distraction I will never give up.