Monday, March 23, 2015

Happy Spring!


Spring arrived this week! 

I can tell it's spring even if I close my eyes and put a clothespin on my nose. That's because I can HEAR the sounds of spring.

Today I heard 



  • a duck quacking in the pond 

  • a redwing blackbird tweeting (without a smartphone)



  • a woodpecker knocking on a tree



  • a bee buzzing near my ear 



  • a hummingbird fluttering its wings




  • a willow rustling its leaves


  • a squirrel chattering with itself 



  • and a leaf blower causing a ruckus (oh, well)


What sounds can YOU hear?

Go outside and listen. Over and under the sounds of cars, sirens, and leaf blowers, what noises and sounds tell you it's spring? 

In your notebook, make a list as I did above. The list is almost like a poem, isn't it? 

Our 5 senses are an important tool for us writers. Plus listening is fun--you may discover something when you stop and "hear" the roses. 

I haven't heard a peep from them yet, but you never know! Wonderful things happen in spring.