Monday, November 25, 2013

A Thanksgiving List for Our Characters


This Thursday is Thanksgiving, a day when it's fun to eat pumpkin pie and give thanks. I have a long list of things I'm grateful for, including my writing friends. 

But we're not the only ones who can be grateful. What about our fictional characters? 

If you're writing about a character who celebrates Thanksgiving, imagine this person writing down 5 things he or she is grateful for. 

It makes you think about your character, doesn't it?

The young adult novel I'm currently working on takes place in 1967. The main character, 14-year-old Francie, is a budding photographer whose life is changing in a lot of ways.

I think Francie would put these things on her Thanksgiving "grateful list." 

1. The new Sgt. Pepper album by the Beatles. 

2. My best friend, Toni, most days. 

3. Mom and Dad, most days.

4. Matt, when he stands tall so he doesn't look shorter than me. 

5. My camera with a full roll of film. 

What about your character? Make a "grateful list" for him or her (or it). Then check the list again in a few months. How would the list change?

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your fictional characters!