Monday, December 31, 2012

Writing Inspiration for 2013


Next to my computer is a little piece of paper with two sentences, and I look at them each day. They're from the marvelous book, The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles, by Steven Pressfield. 

Here are the two sentences:

"The most important thing about art is to work. Nothing else matters except sitting down each day and trying."

Those two sentences inspire me each day. Do you know why? Because they take the pressure off me. All I have to do each day is try. I can do that! 

Each day. That means not just when I feel like it, or when inspiration strikes, but each day. Even when I don't feel like it. 

And you know what? When you sit down and try, magic happens. No, you may not write the Great American Novel, and Steven Spielberg may not ask to turn your book into a movie. But when you try, words appear on the page or screen. Your words. Words turn into sentences. Sentences turn into paragraphs. And paragraphs turn into stories. Your stories. 

I don't have a New Year's resolution. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing. I'm going to sit down and try. Each day. 

Happy Writing in 2013!