Monday, June 4, 2012

Repetition



My husband loves crows, and I love the writing of Margaret Wise Brown, so her poem "Those Crazy Crows" is one of my favorites. The poem uses repetition in a fun way. Watch the 3rd, 5th, and 7th lines:


"Those Crazy Crows"


Those crazy crows on ragged wing
Fly over the woods
They never sing
They screech and they scream
But they never sing
Those crazy crows
They never sing 


"They never sing" is the line that repeats (with a slight variation in the 5th line). The repetition makes me think about flying. And isn't it true that crows don't sing? They caw and croak--not exactly what we would call singing! 


Try writing your own 7-line poem using repetition in the 3rd, 5th, and 7th lines. Here's mine:


"Those Silly Cats" (because I also love cats)


Those silly cats with glossy fur
Jump over the chairs
They're just a blur
They fly and they skid
Oh what a blur
Those silly cats
They're just a blur