Monday, September 20, 2010

Shoes



Shoes travel with us wherever we go. If only they could talk!

Write about a pair of shoes that have been important in your life. Maybe they're the shoes you wore when you scored the winning soccer goal. Or the ballet slippers you practiced in so often they fell apart. Or the flip-flops you wore to the beach with your grandparents. Or the ugly brown shoes you had to wear the first day of school. Or your favorite pair of high tops that someone stole.

Or make up a story about shoes. Try writing about a pair of shoes in a first-person "I" voice, from the shoes' point of view. Here's the start of a story:

The day Jake and I started school together, I know he was embarrassed to be wearing me--the ugliest pair of shoes in the entire 6th grade. See, Jake's dad was out of work, and his mom found me in the thrift shop. I was all they could afford. If only I could speak! I was longing to tell Jake that I may be be the ugliest shoes in the 6th grade, but I have magical powers.